The French Country Inn is located on the south shore of Lake Como. Overlooking Geneva National Golf Course. There are 33 updated rooms with balconies only 15 feet from the shore of the lake with gorgeous views and spectacular sunsets.
Originally called the Lake Como Hotel, it opened its doors in 1921 as a family-friendly lake resort. The guesthouse and portions of the main house were built in Denmark in the 1880’s and then transported to Chicago as the Danish Pavilion for the 1893 Columbian Exposition.
The inn's secluded location made it a perfect place for infamous Chicago mobsters, including George “Bugs” Moran, Baby Face Nelson, and members of the John Dillinger gang to vacation at the hotel. Jimmy Murray was a bootlegger who supplied the Como Hotel with liquor during the prohibition and he ran a speakeasy and gambling den called the Ratskellar, in the basement of the hotel
Until 1975, the Chicago and North Western Railway provided round trip transportation from Chicago to Lake Como, where an old railroad car was used as a depot just a block east of the hotel, in front of Mars Resort. Being connected to the city made Lake Como an even more desirable destination.
Since 1986, the hotel was completed renovated and renamed the French Country Inn. It still is rich in history and remains a popular vacation destination. It's home to Stefana's Italian Steakhouse the Copper Top Lounge.